Thursday, January 27, 2011

Week 4--GAME Plan

OK, well., last week I made much progress on my first goal of creating 1 summative (major) assessment primarily consisting of technology use for each 9 weeks. Right now, I have as my major assessment for the 3rd 9 weeks, an online inquiry project ending with a mind map or outline created on the program OpenMind. For this project, I will take time teaching the students how to develop a research question, locate and evaluate sources, etc. For the 4th 9 weeks, the students will use the information from their mind maps to create a multi-genre project using technology. I need to research and learn  more about glogster to see how I may use it. I have decided that if I have ideas for 1st and 2nd quarters for next year, that will be sufficient. The reason is that it is hard to create an assignment without knowing the needs of students that I don't teach yet!

This week I have been making strides on my second goal of using my LexConnect page more effectively to communicate with students and parents. This was jump started by the fact that much of what I need to do, I need to finish by February 15, in order to pass my Level II technology competency. So, I will make passing the competency my major method of evaluation. I think I will also move parent survey to how I will monitor how I am doing because I want results from the survey before I turn in the links to be evaluated. In addition to the added evaluation (that I had forgotten all about), I have also learned that the students can turn in assignments via a dropbox on the LexConnect site. I mentioned to the students that we may begin moving toward this when major papers are due. They reaction was positive. The students have a book review due on February 4, so I am going to get volunteers from the interested students to do a dry run so we can get all the kinks out. On February 11, the students have an editorial due, and hopefully, all will be able to turn their papers in via the dropbox for that assignment. I am going to play that one more by ear, and maybe make it optional that time, as well. I want to see how the book review turn-in goes first.

2 comments:

  1. To Debb:

    You seem to be on track with your GAME Plan goals. I have hit a bit of a snag, because I have to adjust my action to achieve the goal. But I am confident I can get it going to achieve something relevant to the topic.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if your plan is going well. It is nice that you can work on a project, with a deadline coming up, and use this blog posting as sort of a log of the adventure. I have many obstacles being thrown at me, that slow down my progress, but I am determined to complete my plan.

    ReplyDelete