Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To begin the new year a-right

Does that sound a bit Dickens-ian? Egads, I hope not! (My apologies to lovers of C.D.) Shall I get to my point?

A new school year is fast approaching. I have registration on Wednesday and 6 wonderful students coming to help me settle in to my new room. My mind is full of ideas and knowledge of some wonderful technology applications. I've got an interesting opportunity to teach 95% of the students that I taught last year. (I only have 5 students I haven't previously taught.) I purchased classroom subscriptions to Edu Glogs, and Voice Thread--I am not sure what to do with them now that I have the capabilities, but I have them. I am on Twitter and Facebook and believe both can be helpful for instruction. I created Adamsland Ning for my students, so they have a space for blogs and discussion forums that remains a bit controlled by me.

I think this is where I am struggling--how do I make my beliefs of being a middle school English teacher--helping students find their reader's identity and write'rs voice while teaching them the state standards--with all of the wonderful tools that technology affords us? I need to make everything mesh before August 17 when the students arrive, so I can present to them a technology plan as well as a reading, writing, and research plan. I need to balance my focus and get all parts of my ELA instruction working together like the proverbial machine, so I am not left feeling guilty that one is taking the place or more importance over the others.

This is what I will be focusing on for the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment