Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reflection on GAME Plan and Instruction

Step 1: Reflect on the GAME plan you developed and followed throughout the course.

I am pleased with my GAME plan, not so pleased with my progress. I have created summative assessments involving technology for third and fourth quarters. The multi-genre project my students create each year will now be more focused, and the technology that the students use will be varied. I will use the gradual release of responsibility model with a lot of the technology instruction as well as the straight English content instruction. My second goal of using the LexConnect Page more fully for communication and instruction is not fully realized. Like I said in an earlier post, I just need to carve out a time and make it a priority. I am still working on this goal and am planning on improving each week.


Step 2: Summarize any new learning that resulted from your following your GAME plan and explain what impact your new learning will have on your instructional practice.

I learned about more technology applications that can aid in assessing student learning. I do not know how long it would have taken me to learn about Animoto, XtraNormal, and other digital storytelling applications had it not been for this class. I knew about universal design prior to this class, but this class offered a refresher on it for me. Until this class I had not considered using technology as a form of differentiation of instruction. I will now use technology more as a way to help my struggling learners. I have students that struggle with writing that will dictate their thoughts and then transcribe what they've recorded. In addition I will use IPods and even Kindles to help the students who struggle with reading. My view of technology has changed to include it as a tool of intervention and accomodation.

Step 3: Describe any immediate adjustments you will make to your instructional practice regarding technology integration in your content area(s) as a result of your learning from this course.

I think the most immediate adjustment I will make is an adjustment to my planning. Although I have always used technology as much as possible, I always viewed it as a means to a finished product, as something extra to enhance final products. I now view the use of technology as an instructional tool. When I plan, I decide which standard and indicator we will be learning. Then I think about how to use reading to teach it, writing to teach it, and now I think about how to use technology to teach it. There has been a shift in the way I view technology. I now do not see it as an extra, but I see it as an essential. I think I have believed that for several years, but my practice did not reflect this belief. I now hope that my practice does mirror my belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment