Friday, February 11, 2011

Week 6--Additional Goal? Am I crazy?

OK, right now I have developed my summative assessment for 3rd and 4th quarters, I have infused technology in my short-range planning as much as possible, both for my use and the students. Finally, I have made the step to re-activate Adamsland Ning because the blog application with ANGEL does not allow the students to create their own blogs, but only respond to my blogs, thus rendering it not much more than a discussion board. I feel like I am on the right track.

My second goal is to use my class' LexConnect page more effectively for instruction and learning, and for communication with the parents. What I need to do in order to continue this is to carve out time to work on the the web page each week, and make that time sacrasanct. Right now I have all the good intentions, but things keep devouring the time. I need to take the time, and I need to make it a priority. I have all of the essential elements in place. I just need to continually update it.

I will admit, I have not had much time to focus on those two goals this week. And as information about new mandates and plans begin to come to us for next year, I see that I need to create a new GAME Plan and create a new goal. For this one, I am going to step back from looking at just my classroom, and broaden my sphere of influence. I am choosing a goal with the 5th standard. 5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership: Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teachers:  b. exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion, participating in shared decision making and community building, and developing the leadership and technology skills of others. I am going to begin with my 7th grade ELA department, and spread out from there in my discussions about educational technology and offer to help teachers that need help breaking from their comfort zones. I think ultimately it would be cool to work with my TIS, then other TISes from across the district to create a bank of ideas, applications, templates, lists of resources, etc. so that across the board, more students can benefit from engaging, relevant lessons infused with technology.

5 comments:

  1. Pauline:

    I also have to adjust my goals, and we are basically thinking the same thing about teacher leadership and technology infusion. As a Head of Department, I have been working with my colleagues in my department with technology infusion in the curriculum. I have had mini workshops with other Heads from other subject areas, and then last week, we organized a workshop for all the teachers in the school. I surprised myself that I was able to begin the process, because I have found there is a lazy attitude towards using technology in the classroom. It´s like pulling teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debb

    I read that you restarted a Ning account. How do you work this with your classes? I want to have my students respond to homework reading when we read Shelly's novel Frankenstein. This way they can respond at home after they have read and thought about their response. Do you post a question for the students to answer back to you or do you have them dialogue with each other? I am feeling the same way you do about carving out time to work on implementing technology. I have started to keep a list and often written down ideas that I want to explore during our Spring Break week and the summer months. It would be great to have Staff Development time to 'build' units with colleagues in my department. I think your decision to start with your department and spread out from there is great! Sometimes all it takes for us to feel comfortable with technology is for someone to walk us through the process like our courses have done for us! Plus, once the department gets together, your colleagues will begin brainstorming with each other. One idea you might start with is to create a wiki for the teachers at your school with a page for each department to post their ideas for problem-based and project-based learning ideas. This way the Social Studies dept. could plan with the English department about research projects that could be collaborative - the same paper could be used for English graded on format and organization as well as for Social Studies graded on content and types of resources. Plus, the wiki will help combat the one thing we all complain about - not enough time to meet with each other. Teachers could communicate at their convenience through the wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite the go-getter, girl. I am in awe, and you are my hero. You seem to be all over the place, while I feel as though I am taking very baby steps. Have you used Ning before? I am trying to find the best way to integrate the blogs. We are having some issues with the company I chose, or maybe I am just making it more complicated than it has to be? Are there particular ones you have tried and found to be easier than others to use? I find myself getting frustrated, and if I get frustrated, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for my students. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Susan--The reason I love Ning so much is because there is a place--a discussion forum--where you can post a question for the students to respond to. Then there is also a blog section so each individual student can have their own blog. This is where I have students respond to their independent reading. So on the discussion forum, they would respond to your question, and they can add their own response. What is also cool is they can reply and add on or challenge/agree with anyone's reply.

    @Trina--I have tried Edublogs, blogs on the ANGEL network, and Ning. Ning is by far the easiest, the one that builds the most community, and the one the kids get the most excited about. The only problem I had was having some students lie about their age because 13 is the youngest that can subscribe. Some of my students are still 12. I have the setting such that anyone can look, but have to be approved to join.

    @Pauline--Way to go already leading some PD. Mine thus far has been informal, mainly because my colleagues (and I) are working our way through some assessment professional development. Blech....mine would be much more fun! :) I might pick your brain for some ideas as I get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give you a lot of credit and admire your ambition. It seems that you are the opposite of where I am at the moment. While I have many hurdles and obstacles keeping me from making progress on my game plan, you seem to have the time to move on to more adventures. Good for you. I have never used Ning and am currently deciding how best to move forward with implementing blogs into my classes. I plan to start with one class and see where it takes me. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete